Go big or go to bed.

"our journey is not what but who we are..."

Thursday, June 22, 2006

On the road again...

Actually this posting should be called "in the air again." So far I have successfully made it to San Fran. Ok. I know not as exciting as the "real thing." AKA NZ, but still, I'm on step closer. Though something occured to me this evening, why is that when something is named "International" it instantaneously becomes exotic? For example, I'm walking through the Alaska Airlines terminal at SFO and everything is fine and dandy, however, in order to catch an international flight, obviously you've got to go through the international terminal. There is just something different about being in an international terminal. On one hand everything seems "sophisticated..." Yet in the same regard it also seems so sterile. I've flown quite a bit. Boston, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, New Zealand, Australia, etc... And yet it seems weird to me that when you go to all these amazingly unique and beautiful countries - the "international" terminal is always so bland. Which, the more I think about it seems like a contradiction in itself. When I think about the international district of Seattle, I think of the center of all things ethnic. New foods to try, brightly colored buildings... Or if I think of travelling internationally I think of that weird feeling where you are in a completely foreign environment and are 100% out of your element. For me this feeling, that I think freaks people out a lot, is strangely comforting. Anyways, back to my topic. It just seems strange to me that in the gateway to all things international you feel as though you are in a hospital, rather than enterance to foreign experiences.

Well. I will be headed off here pretty soon. Yea for 13 hours on a flight.... WOOO HOOO.... mmm I hope they serve me hokie pokie ice cream and kiwi wine... :-) This is gonna be one helluva trip.

lilwaldo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home